Regular Prenatal Care is essential to ensure your health as well as the health of your baby. Our OB Doctor will follow your care from the time of your positive pregnancy test until the birth of your baby. To make an appointment or for more
information, please contact us.
Prenatal services include:
- Comprehensive Prenatal Care
- Education & Counseling
- Healthy Start Screenings
- Laboratory Services & Ultrasounds
Breastfeeding and Counseling and Promotion
Breastfeeding is recommended for the first year. After six months of age, other foods should be introduced.
One of the main causes for new mothers to give up breastfeeding is lack of support. In the past, women grew up watching their mothers, aunts and friends breastfeed. They felt comfortable with it and learned from watching and talking with them. Florida Department of Health in Sumter County has nurses certified in lactation counseling and wants to improve breastfeeding experiences for our mothers.
Main reasons why women stop breastfeeding before they had planned:
- Latching problems in the first week
- Worried they don't have enough milk or it is not good enough
- Early feeding difficulties
- Lack of support or proper information
- We will help new mothers and help them feel more comfortable during those first few weeks.
TIPS we teach for successful breastfeeding:
- How to hold your baby
- How to latch properly
- Signs of when and how much to feed
- Working and pumping tips
- Safely storing breast milk
- Nutrition and breastfeeding Dealing with breast and nipple issues
Important reasons to consider breastfeeding your infant:
- It has all the nutrients the baby needs.
- It is easily digested and babies are less likely to have diarrhea.
- Mom's immunities can help babies fight disease.
- Lowers the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).
- Decreases chances of obesity, asthma, respiratory infections and even skin rashes.
- Breastfeeding can save you time and money.
- Mommy and baby can have a stronger bond!
- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast and ovarian cancers.